Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day Six - Tutorial Tuesday!

So, along with Favorite Link Friday, I'll be posting a tutorial on every Tuesday called - appropriately - Tutorial Tuesday! I suppose a video would have been better for this, but all I have is my cell phone.

Today's tutorial is going to show you how to make the origami flowers I made into push-pins from the other day. I got a request on how to make it the other day. Also, if you'd like to see any kind of craft done in a tutorial form, put it in a comment, or send me a message or something. I'll get it! I'd love to hear from you!



Materials: Scrapbook paper, a ruler, a pencil, scissors, glue, a push pin or thumbtack and a hot glue gun.

Step One: Cut your scrapbook paper into six 3-inch squares. Each square is one petal of the flower.


Step Two: Fold your square diagonally forming a triangle.


Step Three: Fold the corners of the triangle in to meet at the top of the triangle. This forms a smaller square.


Step Four: Fold the same points down. The folded edge should meet up exactly with the edge of the square.


Step Five: Open up the folds and flatten them out. Next, fold the tops of the flaps behind the square.


Step Six: Fold the triangles in on themselves to form what looks like pleats on the side of the diamond shape.


Step Seven: Gently fold - but don't crease - the shape until the pleats meet. Glue these pleats together.

This is what your petal should look like.

Repeat the steps until you have five or six petals (I used six, but you can definitely get away with using five).


Now, once you have your petals glued together, take your hot glue gun and glue each petal together and around a small push pin.

This is what the bottom of your flower pin should look like.




And now you're finished! Make a bunch of them to go on your bulletin board! Get creative with them! Attach them to a brooch backing or find a way to attach them to a hairband!

I'd love to see your variations on them, so let me know if you make some! Have fun!

1 comment: