Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day Eight - Bumpron!

Every year in high school, I tried out for every musical my school put on. Unfortunately, I never made any of them. That never took away my love for the stage. So every year, I volunteered backstage. If I wasn't good enough to be on stage, I would be good enough backstage. Each year, I volunteered on the costume crew. I learned how to put costumes together, how to hem pants, and how to use a sewing machine.

I'm pretty sure that this experience was almost as cool as being in those costumes.

September last year, I made my first musical. North Carolina Theatre's Kids on Broadway production of Whistle Down The Wind (the other one, not the Andrew Lloyd Webber one). They needed "kids" that looked like adults. That, and it was my last year to audition.

I LOVED it!

I happened to mention to the costumer that I really enjoyed working with costumes, so at the end of the show's run, the producer came up to me and asked me if I would like to be a Wardrobe Intern for the next show, Phantom (the other, better one, not the Andrew Lloyd Webber one). Basically, I was a dresser. A dresser helps with quick changes, steams clothes, and has a ton of fun hanging up clothes and spraying vodka on the costumes!

I was also a dresser for Miss Saigon (my favorite show ever!). Both times, I didn't have an apron. I looked all over for a plain black apron. I found a humongous one, but it was a full apron, not a half apron.

So, I decided that for my next show, West Side Story, I would make a utility apron out of a pair of black pants!

It was really simple to do, all I did was cut it up, hem it around the edges, and used the waistband that was already there. And of course, I had to do a little embellishing!

Here's what it looks like:

I can't wait to be a dresser again! Of course, the next NCT show, I will be ON stage instead of BACKstage! My second show ever, but it's my first show I get paid for!

I'm glad I never gave up after being discouraged from the shows in high school!

1 comment:

  1. Cool idea. You always have the greatest craft ideas. Only you could think to make an apron out of a pair of pants.

    ReplyDelete